a place where the senses come alive!
- According to the Worldwatch Institute, 74 percent of the world's poultry, 43 percent of beef, and 68 percent of eggs are produced by agribusinesses.
- 99% of all turkeys raised in the U.S. are Broad-Breasted Whites, a single turkey breed specially developed to have a meaty breast. vi
- In The US 83-90% of dairy cows are the same breed (Holsteins) and 85% in the UK.
- 60 percent of beef cattle are of the Angus, Hereford or Simmental breeds.
- According to the University of Missouri report American Livestock Breeds Conservancy 75% of pigs raised in the United States are of the three most common breeds.
- Over 60 percent of sheep come from only four breeds, and 40 percent are Suffolk-breed sheep.
- According to the U.N.'s Food and Agriculture Organization, just four commercial crops—corn, soybeans, canola, and cotton—account for 85 percent of all GM crops planted worldwide (GM = Genetically modified)
- Roundup ready soybeans account for 90% of all soybeans grown in the US.
- 70% of the food in the US store contain bioengineered elements. Am
- Almost 96% of the commercial vegetable varieties available in 1903 are now extinct. vii
- A report released in 1998 by the USDA found that 80% of the meat industry is controlled by only four firms.(1)
- Since 1979, 300,000 farmers have gone out of business and those remaining are receiving 13% less for every consumer dollar for farm goods.(1)